How I Became Good At Uberstrike

AntisocialCheezAntisocialCheez Posts: 4,147REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
edited October 2012 in Gossip
Hey guys just thought I would post this guide on how to gain legitimate skill in Uberstrike, without neccessarily having to play for 10 hours a day or sink $500 into credits. Here goes:
1. Before you even begin, make sure you are playing with a real mouse, not one of those mac mouses or god forbid a trackpad.

2. Ditch all of your credit weapons, armor, melee stuff, spring grenades (Pretty much anything that isn't a basic weapon, you won't be needing them anymore.) I strongly recommend the loadout of Sniper-Cannon-Shotgun, but you can vary it up a bit.

3. Go into a few public matches. Familiarize yourself with these guns.

4. Re-learn all the maps, and learn how to control the armors and healths on them (Now that you no longer have your AP bonus, you are going to need to learn how to survive without it.) (I also recommend you learn how to play Cuberstrike especially well, as it is considered the best 1v1 map)

5. Ask other players (I strongly recommend you know them beforehand) to 1v1 you with only basics. You will very likely lose badly in your first dozen or so games. Just remember that this is the most important part. If you give up at this point, you won't have benefitted from this. So stay strong, and just keep playing hard. Try to get in around 3-5 hours of 1v1s a week, and maybe 2-4 hours of public matches, and after a few weeks, you will see your scores go up drastically.

It took me a good one and a half months of 1v1s with Ferret, chris smoove, Bangi, and row to gain enough skill to be good enough to join S~A, and I was so happy. Previously I had been a HUGE credit noob, using high AP and OP weapons, etc. After I had gained all this skill, I was extremely better at using this OP stuff, but I chose not to, because playing with true skill was just so much more rewarding.

Thanks for listening,
-Anti
Post edited by Unknown User on
HjtR0.png
fe8513a4.jpg
«1

Comments

  • chris smoovechris smoove Posts: 3,732REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Hey guys just thought I would post this guide on how to gain legitimate skill in Uberstrike, without neccessarily having to play for 10 hours a day or sink $500 into credits. Here goes:
    1. Before you even begin, make sure you are playing with a real mouse, not one of those mac mouses or god forbid a trackpad.

    2. Ditch all of your credit weapons, armor, melee stuff, spring grenades (Pretty much anything that isn't a basic weapon, you won't be needing them anymore.) I strongly recommend the loadout of Sniper-Cannon-Shotgun, but you can vary it up a bit.

    3. Go into a few public matches. Familiarize yourself with these guns.

    4. Re-learn all the maps, and learn how to control the armors and healths on them (Now that you no longer have your AP bonus, you are going to need to learn how to survive without it.) (I also recommend you learn how to play Cuberstrike especially well, as it is considered the best 1v1 map)

    5. Ask other players (I strongly recommend you know them beforehand) to 1v1 you with only basics. You will very likely lose badly in your first dozen or so games. Just remember that this is the most important part. If you give up at this point, you won't have benefitted from this. So stay strong, and just keep playing hard. Try to get in around 3-5 hours of 1v1s a week, and maybe 2-4 hours of public matches, and after a few weeks, you will see your scores go up drastically.

    It took me a good one and a half months of 1v1s with Ferret, chris smoove, Bangi, and row to gain enough skill to be good enough to join S~A, and I was so happy. Previously I had been a HUGE credit noob, using high AP and OP weapons, etc. After I had gained all this skill, I was extremely better at using this OP stuff, but I chose not to, because playing with true skill was just so much more rewarding.

    Thanks for listening,
    -Anti

    Great guide anti, and thanks for the shout out C: <33
    FiNALClanSig.png
    It says they're putting in better databases. That's always good
    wish cmune did that lol
  • Delta.Delta. Posts: 1,549REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 3
    Nice Guide Anti. This would come in handy ( Specially the noobs reading this ).


    Alpha



  • CrystalVivCrystalViv Posts: 561REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    I think you should also include weapon switching with keys in this topic because switch weapons with keys is much quicker and faster!That is the mistake that still haunts me D:

    Previous names: JustDie-_- -> -Finished- -> WalkWalking -> SoulofNight -> WOOT_ru


  • chris smoovechris smoove Posts: 3,732REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    JustDie-_- wrote:
    I think you should also include weapon switching with keys in this topic because switch weapons with keys is much quicker and faster!That is the mistake that still haunts me D:
    Well that varies for different people. In my prime, I used scrolling to switch weapons, and I also used the standard mac mouse, not a gaming mouse. Now I have a good mouse and I use keys, yet I suck :P
    FiNALClanSig.png
    It says they're putting in better databases. That's always good
    wish cmune did that lol
  • CrystalVivCrystalViv Posts: 561REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    JustDie-_- wrote:
    I think you should also include weapon switching with keys in this topic because switch weapons with keys is much quicker and faster!That is the mistake that still haunts me D:
    Well that varies for different people. In my prime, I used scrolling to switch weapons, and I also used the standard mac mouse, not a gaming mouse. Now I have a good mouse and I use keys, yet I suck :P
    But I would still say learn how to switch with keys before switching with scrolling!Once you gey used to scrolling its so hard to play with keys!Trust me (

    Previous names: JustDie-_- -> -Finished- -> WalkWalking -> SoulofNight -> WOOT_ru


  • Cosmic InfernoCosmic Inferno Posts: 1,089REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    Hey guys just thought I would post this guide on how to gain legitimate skill in Uberstrike, without neccessarily having to play for 10 hours a day or sink $500 into credits. Here goes:
    1. Before you even begin, make sure you are playing with a real mouse, not one of those mac mouses or god forbid a trackpad.

    2. Ditch all of your credit weapons, armor, melee stuff, spring grenades (Pretty much anything that isn't a basic weapon, you won't be needing them anymore.) I strongly recommend the loadout of Sniper-Cannon-Shotgun, but you can vary it up a bit.

    3. Go into a few public matches. Familiarize yourself with these guns.

    4. Re-learn all the maps, and learn how to control the armors and healths on them (Now that you no longer have your AP bonus, you are going to need to learn how to survive without it.) (I also recommend you learn how to play Cuberstrike especially well, as it is considered the best 1v1 map)

    5. Ask other players (I strongly recommend you know them beforehand) to 1v1 you with only basics. You will very likely lose badly in your first dozen or so games. Just remember that this is the most important part. If you give up at this point, you won't have benefitted from this. So stay strong, and just keep playing hard. Try to get in around 3-5 hours of 1v1s a week, and maybe 2-4 hours of public matches, and after a few weeks, you will see your scores go up drastically.

    It took me a good one and a half months of 1v1s with Ferret, chris smoove, Bangi, and row to gain enough skill to be good enough to join S~A, and I was so happy. Previously I had been a HUGE credit noob, using high AP and OP weapons, etc. After I had gained all this skill, I was extremely better at using this OP stuff, but I chose not to, because playing with true skill was just so much more rewarding.

    Thanks for listening,
    -Anti
    Nice I like helpers like you! :D
  • tennis97tennis97 Posts: 2,546REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    JustDie-_- wrote:
    I think you should also include weapon switching with keys in this topic because switch weapons with keys is much quicker and faster!That is the mistake that still haunts me D:
    its all preference, This summer I had to use a mouse with a broken wheel, and got used to keys. While It is precise and good, I prefer Wheel
  • AlexNBAlexNB Posts: 633REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    I'd have to disagree about the trackpad bit in here, and not because I'm biased being that I use one. It definitely has some flaws (namely, infrequently not clicking when trying to shoot, some other insensitivities..), but other than that just equates to a different style of mouseplay. Has its own perks as well, and I've seen some people use it rather successfully.

    That aside, though, I think what you've written here is a good general guideline to get going.
  • tennis97tennis97 Posts: 2,546REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    AlexNB wrote:
    I'd have to disagree about the trackpad bit in here, and not because I'm biased being that I use one. It definitely has some flaws (namely, infrequently not clicking when trying to shoot, some other insensitivities..), but other than that just equates to a different style of mouseplay. Has its own perks as well, and I've seen some people use it rather successfully.

    That aside, though, I think what you've written here is a good general guideline to get going.
    ...........................*signs alex into asylum*
  • The Alpha SoldierThe Alpha Soldier Posts: 2,866REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    edited October 2012
    One thing I have to say is I don't think it matters what mouse you use. Because I use a Mac mouse, and my sniping is pretty good. I just have to scope and zoom with my keyboard. So yeah mouse doesn't really matter in my opinion.
    Post edited by The Alpha Soldier on



    'Three things cannot be long hidden: The Sun, The Moon, The Truth'

  • chris smoovechris smoove Posts: 3,732REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    One thing I have to say is I don't thinkit matters what mouse you use. Becaus I use a Mac mouse, and my sniping is pretty good. I just have to scope and zoom with my keyboard. So yeah mouse doesn't really matter in my opinion.
    Same with me. When I was actually considered "good" at this game, I used a mac mouse and I had to use c to scope.
    FiNALClanSig.png
    It says they're putting in better databases. That's always good
    wish cmune did that lol
  • petah-the king----petah-the king---- Posts: 1,225REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    Wow,I just realized that I'm terrible at this game because I use stupid Mac Mouse. :(


    ~ptk
  • jkdslsdsjkdslsds Posts: 4,651REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    5. Ask other players (I strongly recommend you know them beforehand) to 1v1 you with only basics. You will very likely lose badly in your first dozen or so games. Just remember that this is the most important part. If you give up at this point, you won't have benefitted from this. So stay strong, and just keep playing hard.
    So true. I remember all those 10-2 and 10-3 losses to Chelsea Grin in 3.0 which helped me a lot.
    -jkdskittles
    image
    image

    New montage, "Vitality":
  • J-Man17J-Man17 Posts: 1,194REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    HACKS!
    <3

    -Anti
    nte7L.jpgTRABw0.png4BZ2Ynw.pngjTUEMCkd.pngAKVCNg.pngFBG2cbo9.png
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 4,975REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    This if I may say is Golden dude. Many players get sucked into the AP and OP trap and never learn the value of basics and overall skill. Nice job on a well written piece of advice.

    Spiegel
    httpiimgurcomlSxKf5bpng
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 4,975REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Wow,I just realized that I'm terrible at this game because I use stupid Mac Mouse. :(


    ~ptk
    You can be good with a Mac Mouse. What he was more saying is, to be your best. A standard mouse is usually better.

    Spiegel
    httpiimgurcomlSxKf5bpng
  • Carlos Spicy WeineCarlos Spicy Weine Posts: 6,095REGISTERED, QA Testers UberStrike QA Tester
    AlexNB wrote:
    I'd have to disagree about the trackpad bit in here, and not because I'm biased being that I use one. It definitely has some flaws (namely, infrequently not clicking when trying to shoot, some other insensitivities..), but other than that just equates to a different style of mouseplay. Has its own perks as well, and I've seen some people use it rather successfully.

    That aside, though, I think what you've written here is a good general guideline to get going.
    Not shooting when you click is a bug in Uberstrike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcS_4-IqgM&feature=plcp
    I was drowned out by drums at the hanging;
    They silenced my final address.
    My books were burnt at the wayside;
    They censored my words from the press.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlosSpicyWeiner7
  • - The TROLLER -- The TROLLER - Posts: 2,670REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    well i i have a trackpad too and when i saw orthrus's skills i thought he uses a mouse such as Razer Death Adder then i asked him 'DO you use Razer Death Adder'? he said No i use a trackpad .-. then i asked isn't it hard to snipe? he said no i use a key to snipe i asked could you tell me what that key is and your sensitivity he toled me the key and sisitivity its a comfort way of playing no doubt ( i use a mac) second thing sensitivity in-game dosent matter much because you can change your mac's sensivity

    System prefences ----> Trackpad
    > point and click, then at bottom you will see Slow to fast and then you can manage it the way you want.

    I'm that every unpopular person who is neglected by every popular person.


  • AlexNBAlexNB Posts: 633REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    edited October 2012
    Not shooting when you click is a bug in Uberstrike. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcS_4-IqgM&feature=plcp
    I wasn't referring to this, but more of a difficulty in getting the trackpad to respond to physical clicks in general. Though, the other issue you mention also seems to occur noticeably as well.
    Post edited by AlexNB on
  • Its_PacmanIts_Pacman Posts: 2,820REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    learn from your mistakes ~




  • Mad TricksterMad Trickster Posts: 3,379REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Hey guys just thought I would post this guide on how to gain legitimate skill in Uberstrike, without neccessarily having to play for 10 hours a day or sink $500 into credits. Here goes:
    1. Before you even begin, make sure you are playing with a real mouse, not one of those mac mouses or god forbid a trackpad.

    2. Ditch all of your credit weapons, armor, melee stuff, spring grenades (Pretty much anything that isn't a basic weapon, you won't be needing them anymore.) I strongly recommend the loadout of Sniper-Cannon-Shotgun, but you can vary it up a bit.

    3. Go into a few public matches. Familiarize yourself with these guns.

    4. Re-learn all the maps, and learn how to control the armors and healths on them (Now that you no longer have your AP bonus, you are going to need to learn how to survive without it.) (I also recommend you learn how to play Cuberstrike especially well, as it is considered the best 1v1 map)

    5. Ask other players (I strongly recommend you know them beforehand) to 1v1 you with only basics. You will very likely lose badly in your first dozen or so games. Just remember that this is the most important part. If you give up at this point, you won't have benefitted from this. So stay strong, and just keep playing hard. Try to get in around 3-5 hours of 1v1s a week, and maybe 2-4 hours of public matches, and after a few weeks, you will see your scores go up drastically.

    It took me a good one and a half months of 1v1s with Ferret, chris smoove, Bangi, and row to gain enough skill to be good enough to join S~A, and I was so happy. Previously I had been a HUGE credit noob, using high AP and OP weapons, etc. After I had gained all this skill, I was extremely better at using this OP stuff, but I chose not to, because playing with true skill was just so much more rewarding.

    Thanks for listening,
    -Anti
    Bogus. You hax. That's all you've ever done since iClan :lol:

    Jk man, I agree with all of this. But nowadays, having credits automatically means that you're pro. Luckily, I have a few credits :P
  • Mad TricksterMad Trickster Posts: 3,379REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Ampelius wrote:
    You can be good without using basics 24/7. I know many good players who use credit-based items that would own the so called basic pros even if they were to only use "basics". You are basically saying that using the credit weapons (which now can be bought with points, so I don't see the point in calling them credit weapons anymore) are of those of no skill.
    This doesn't make any sense. Of course the person using OP weapons and armour would out-do the Basics pro.

    Fail logic...
  • chris smoovechris smoove Posts: 3,732REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Ampelius wrote:
    You can be good without using basics 24/7. I know many good players who use credit-based items that would own the so called basic pros even if they were to only use "basics". You are basically saying that using the credit weapons (which now can be bought with points, so I don't see the point in calling them credit weapons anymore) are of those of no skill.
    This doesn't make any sense. Of course the person using OP weapons and armour would out-do the Basics pro.

    Fail logic...
    He's saying that if credit users were to use basic weapons they would beat basic users. Which is still flawed logic :|
    FiNALClanSig.png
    It says they're putting in better databases. That's always good
    wish cmune did that lol
  • xBestxBest Posts: 1,909REGISTERED UberStrike Veteran Member
    Wait, you're good? Hmm, never knew.

    LOL, jk. <3 you Anti :) Nice guide you has here.

  • tennis97tennis97 Posts: 2,546REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    Another flaw...big difference killing someone with multiple, more accurate hits than 1 op gun shot
  • Mad TricksterMad Trickster Posts: 3,379REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    tennis97 wrote:
    Another flaw...big difference killing someone with multiple, more accurate hits than 1 op gun shot
    Exactly.
    Ampelius wrote:
    You people have no idea what skill is, simple as that. You try attack those with credits simply because you lot cannot afford them or get hold of them. Quite sad really. Judge players' skills by how they play, not what they play with.

    I do not use credits, because I choose not to. So I do not fit into that category of yours. And when you say, "judge them by how they play, not what they play with," that is kind of contradicting itself.
  • pwnyboy64pwnyboy64 Posts: 194REGISTERED Active Poster Lvl 2
    AlexNB wrote:
    I'd have to disagree about the trackpad bit in here, and not because I'm biased being that I use one. It definitely has some flaws (namely, infrequently not clicking when trying to shoot, some other insensitivities..), but other than that just equates to a different style of mouseplay. Has its own perks as well, and I've seen some people use it rather successfully.

    That aside, though, I think what you've written here is a good general guideline to get going.

    Go track pad users! I agree, whatever you learn to play with (in my case a trackpad) is what you will get good with. Yea there are some issues, but they're minor and not worth relearning how to play over.
    pwnyboy.png
    zvze6d
  • cj youngcj young Posts: 3,540REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Ampelius wrote:
    You both failed to understand my "flawed logic".
    Three people failed to then, because chris read it about the same way I did.
    Ampelius wrote:
    What describes skill is aim, reaction and control. Not weapon. There are many "credit users" out there that have incredible aim and are great at map control, they just do not use basic items as much as other people. An example is SLD. But I don't differentiate by judging if a player is a basic user or a credit user. What I look for is aim, reaction and control. If someone has that they can be both good at "credit" and "basic" weapons.

    You people have no idea what skill is, simple as that. You try attack those with credits simply because you lot cannot afford them or get hold of them. Quite sad really. Judge players' skills by how they play, not what they play with.
    We do judge them by what they show us, but when I have the most ac in a game full of guys with op weapons, I tend to say their aim SUCKS! Why is that? It takes me 2 to 3 shots vs their 1.

    Ps: We never said all users are bad! I agree with most of what everyone said, basics are the best way to get good fast. However, there are great players using credited weapons. Hell I myself use credited weapons, but they affect me for the worse so I don't do it often.
    1a76UMU.png
    jwWON.png
    Want to learn to be better? Check this out.
  • tennis97tennis97 Posts: 2,546REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    tennis97 wrote:
    Another flaw...big difference killing someone with multiple, more accurate hits than 1 op gun shot
    Exactly.
    Ampelius wrote:
    You people have no idea what skill is, simple as that. You try attack those with credits simply because you lot cannot afford them or get hold of them. Quite sad really. Judge players' skills by how they play, not what they play with.

    I do not use credits, because I choose not to. So I do not fit into that category of yours. And when you say, "judge them by how they play, not what they play with," that is kind of contradicting itself.
    Exactly, I've spent 200$ on this game, and I KNOW credits require FAR LESS skill. The fact you thin their equal is misguided and wrong. Take the same player, have him do what anti says and hell be better than if he used creds in pub matches

    Case closed #lawyered
  • chris smoovechris smoove Posts: 3,732REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Ampelius wrote:
    You both failed to understand my "flawed logic".

    What describes skill is aim, reaction and control. Not weapon. There are many "credit users" out there that have incredible aim and are great at map control, they just do not use basic items as much as other people. An example is SLD. But I don't differentiate by judging if a player is a basic user or a credit user. What I look for is aim, reaction and control. If someone has that they can be both good at "credit" and "basic" weapons.

    You people have no idea what skill is, simple as that. You try attack those with credits simply because you lot cannot afford them or get hold of them. Quite sad really. Judge players' skills by how they play, not what they play with.
    Let me break this down:

    Aim: If I am using a vanquisher, it is inherently easier to aim with than a default sniper rifle because it zooms in more, not to mention you only need one hit for a kill.

    Control: Lets compare a force cannon and a default cannon. A force cannon has a much larger splash radius, therefore it is easier to hit a player, making it easier to control.

    Reaction: Lets compare a demolisher and a default grenade launcher. If you see something out of the corner of your eye while you are using a demolisher, you can flick your mouse and fire at it, but you have a 300% higher chance of hitting your target than you do with your grenade launcher does firing the same shot. That has nothing to do with your reaction or aim or control, that has to due with the fact that your weapon shoots three projectiles instead of one.
    Ampelius wrote:
    You people have no idea what skill is, simple as that. You try attack those with credits simply because you lot cannot afford them or get hold of them. Quite sad really.
    I own lots of overpowered weapons and armor. I use them often enough, and I can tell you from personal experience and over 2 years of gameplay that credit weapons and armor affect your skill level profoundly.
    FiNALClanSig.png
    It says they're putting in better databases. That's always good
    wish cmune did that lol
Sign In or Register to comment.