Adam's Lag Solutions

~H3ADSH0T~~H3ADSH0T~ Posts: 810REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
edited October 2012 in Feedback & Comments
hVdBF.png
So i saw a topic talking about how to prevent lag, and it was not in-depth at all. I was going to post this as a comment, but after i wrote it, i decided it should be it's own topic. I am not an IT professional, although, i have been playing online games for quite some time now and have encountered almost every form of lag. I also did DDoS protection for small businesses, and worked for a VPS (virtual private server) company as a support assistant.

So if you are experiencing a great deal of lag in-game, there are multiple reasons for it. If you have any other suggestions, please reply with them and i will add them to the list.

cGKqT.png

1. Internet is slow. Here are ways to fix your slow connection:
  • Lets start with the most crucial. Find a server in your area. Do not play on servers far away from you. The further the distance, the higher the ping.
  • Stop any uploads/downloads while on UberStrike. Uploading will take the largest tole on your internet, however, downloading will still significantly decrease the quality of your your VoIP.
  • Put a password on your router to make sure 3rd party usage is not allowed. By leaving your router open, there will be a high amount of traffic on your internet which will cause your internet speed to slow down significantly.
  • Close any programs that are accessing the internet, including other webpages. If you are playing Uberstrike, i suggest you close all other webpages until you are in the lobby where your connection is irrelevant.
  • Make sure your cables are connected properly in the modem/router. Sometimes wires will become loose over time, and need to be nudged back in securely.
  • Unplug your router/modem for 10 seconds and plug them back in.
  • If your using a wifi connection, try moving to a better spot to get better connection if yours is not optimal already. - Contribution by KXI SYSTEM

cGKqT.png

2. Computer is slow. Here are ways to fix the speed of your computer:
  • Run a virus scan. Viruses will greatly slow down both your computer and connection. Some viruses are encrypted, so the initial virus scan will not pick it up, but over time, the virus will lose its encryption and will become visible by a manual virus scan.
  • Clear your cache. Clearing your cache can significantly improve the speed and performance of your browser.
  • There are programs out there that will delete unneeded scripts in programs. For instance, if you are on a Mac, you can get CleanMyMac which will delete unneeded data from programs. This will increase your computer speed
  • Increase your RAM (Random Access Memory)

cGKqT.png

And here are a couple nice videos to make Firefox/Safari faster for the Mac. I don't know if it will work on PC, but it should. For those of you who use Opera, that is your first mistake.
Firefox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9YLzdPCY84 <-- very useful
Safari: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUm62292HxY

For more information on ping please check out: Going Ballistic: Ping for Dummies

If anyone was confused at all, please comment and i will be glad to clarify it for you.

Cheers,
Adam
Post edited by Unknown User on
YRqJ4.png
~ Cyber Security | Lag Solutions | OptimizeD (FPS Solutions) ~

Comments

• -OneLittleNinja--OneLittleNinja- Posts: 413REGISTERED Forum Veteran Lvl 2
    Wow, nice. I've been lagging like crazy myself D:
    5k3xia.png

2628tip.png
  • Bang.Bang. Posts: 128REGISTERED Active Poster Lvl 1
    Thanks! :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KXI SYSTEMKXI SYSTEM Posts: 3,926REGISTERED
    Sometimes the root of the problem maybe your ISP or how many people use your internet connection at once.

For me there about 10 devices in my household that can access the internet, if all of them were to access it at once my share of the bandwidth on my laptop will go way down. I even had a problem recently when my sister was downloading massive files that ate 90% of the entire households bandwidth.

If your using a wifi connection, try moving to a better spot to get better connection if yours is not optimal already.

Sometimes the answer to your problem is not just software but physical.

Plus network lag and graphical lag are two different things, observe your framerate when you are in training and when your on a server. If you lag in both, its graphical lag. If its only on a server its network lag.
    du8P5.jpg
  • -OneLittleNinja--OneLittleNinja- Posts: 413REGISTERED Forum Veteran Lvl 2
    KXI SYSTEM wrote:
    Sometimes the root of the problem maybe your ISP or how many people use your internet connection at once.

For me there about 10 devices in my household that can access the internet, if all of them were to access it at once my share of the bandwidth on my laptop will go way down. I even had a problem recently when my sister was downloading massive files that ate 90% of the entire households bandwidth.

If your using a wifi connection, try moving to a better spot to get better connection if yours is not optimal already.

Sometimes the answer to your problem is not just software but physical.

Plus network lag and graphical lag are two different things, observe your framerate when you are in training and when your on a server. If you lag in both, its graphical lag. If its only on a server its network lag.

I get all types of lag you just named out. my ping has raised to 1000 & i had never seen that before.
    But thanks, what you said was actually helpful.
    5k3xia.png

2628tip.png
  • NeofighterNeofighter Posts: 225REGISTERED Active Poster Lvl 2
    It does not matter if your Internet connection is good enough, you should never play on servers that are far away from you. There is a set speed at which electricity travels, ergo, one cannot simply gain access to a better Internet connection to relieve themselves of issues with lag when playing on foreign servers.

Ping is the time it takes for a packet of information to travel between your computer and a server (Uberstrike in this case). The farther the distance from the server, the higher the ping, thereby increasing the time it takes for your actions to be transferred to the server. Think of it as a plane traveling to another destination, the farther away the destination, the longer it takes to travel.

Cheers,
    Neo
    5U8WL.png
  • -B|oodseeker--B|oodseeker- Posts: 3,642REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    VERY NICE JOB, HOMY!

Just locked my wi-fi.. internet sped up.

Who used it? Hmm... *Cough* stalkers *sneeze*
    Deathwhisperer --> - | Silencer | - --> -B|oodseeker-
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 4,973REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    These are the topics that uberstrike should have more of.
    Thank you!
    Very useful information.

Spiegel
    httpiimgurcomlSxKf5bpng
  • RicardioRicardio Posts: 823REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    I think the foreign servers you use don't get much better with faster internet. Well everyone plays different servers at one time, but I don't suggest it because then you'll lag and ruin it for other players :[ But thanks for the guide! My internet is pretty slow and i need to fix it soon :D
    KnzZj0z.jpg
  • ~H3ADSH0T~~H3ADSH0T~ Posts: 810REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    Neofighter wrote:
    It does not matter if your Internet connection is good enough, you should never play on servers that are far away from you. There is a set speed at which electricity travels, ergo, one cannot simply gain access to a better Internet connection to relieve themselves of issues with lag when playing on foreign servers.

Ping is the time it takes for a packet of information to travel between your computer and a server (Uberstrike in this case). The farther the distance from the server, the higher the ping, thereby increasing the time it takes for your actions to be transferred to the server. Think of it as a plane traveling to another destination, the farther away the destination, the longer it takes to travel.

Cheers,
    Neo

Throwing a ball at a wall is a better analogy. Since your ping is not how fast it takes to travel to the server, but how fast it takes to reach the server and back to you. Unless you got yourself a round trip plane ticket ;)

Just sayin' :roll:

Although yes, playing on a distant server is not typically a good idea.

-Adam
    YRqJ4.png
  • Arthur-DentArthur-Dent Posts: 5,539REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Although, this is a very helpful thread. I already do all of these things. It's just a lack of a better ISP in my area. :(
    bXRC8.pngchatchange.png
    nad wrote:
    Neel's currently moonlighting as a lifeguard on beaches in Bali and is keeping the people of Indonesia safe from Sharks!
    UberArena; a HoE Style Map - UberStrike Concepts - Tactics Guide
  • SwendogSwendog Posts: 117REGISTERED Active Poster Lvl 1
    Nice post bro. Good info.
    1w35e.png
  • ~H3ADSH0T~~H3ADSH0T~ Posts: 810REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 2
    I bet that everyone who clicked this topic was about to rage saying stuff like:

"OMG NOT ANOTHER TOPIC ABOUT LAG"
    or
    "Please do a search before you ask about lag!!"

:lol:

But for those who benefited from this topic, i'm glad i can help. For those who are still having issues and would like some more assistance, you can ask here. Make sure you post your specs so that i, or another internet savvy member can further assist you in your lag-free ambitions.

-Adam
    YRqJ4.png
  • GUY82GUY82 Posts: 4,016REGISTERED, Global Moderators, Cmunity Global Moderator
    Good tips.

Every little tip can help a little :D
  • FinalizationFinalization Posts: 2,698REGISTERED Gideons Minion
    But what if your in a island and you cant fix it because they're no one here that fix internet.And always 300+ ping even if your in the fastest server.

-~LM~

Prev names:~LiG
    HTNiNG--MoDe~  --> -Reciever --> -Receiver-   -->  -Turbo|Noob- --> -Turbo- --> -LiGHTNiNG--MoDe- --> Lightning Dracyan --> Finalization
  • ^_^ I AM WEAK ^_^^_^ I AM WEAK ^_^ Posts: 516REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    WoW This Topic Help me alot,Thx Adam!
  • XxH4CK3RxXXxH4CK3RxX Posts: 15REGISTERED Occasional Poster
    How About For Windows I Would Like 150 PING BELOW :(

ANY TIPS???

Picture61-1-1.png
  • -B|oodseeker--B|oodseeker- Posts: 3,642REGISTERED Level 9000 Warlock
    Okay, I think we need to spread this to other UberStrikers that doesn't use the forums.

Agree?

--Deathwhisperer--
    Deathwhisperer --> - | Silencer | - --> -B|oodseeker-
  • uberpwner18uberpwner18 Posts: 2,242REGISTERED UberStrike Veteran Member
    XxH4CK3RxX wrote:

ANY TIPS???

Picture61-1-1.png
    Okay, I think we need to spread this to other UberStrikers that doesn't use the forums.

Agree?

--Deathwhisperer--
    *facepalm* You guys didn't look at when this topic was made, did you?
    2mqp8i8.jpg
    ^ A little late there...

--Uber
    USA.png
    ^Clicky dat siggy. And the one below. You know you want to. Click it, I dare you. Go on. Click. It. 
    chatchange.png
    BORK BORK BORK!   gSB1G.png uberpwner18

• Johnnie8Johnnie8 Posts: 9,777REGISTERED, Global Moderators Global Moderator
    XxH4CK3RxX wrote:

ANY TIPS???

The topic answers your question itself, read page one carefully again and you'll get to know what to do :P
    Instead of reviving old threads, remember to visit Uberstrike's brand new support page: http://support.uberstrike.com/
    I'm the emoticon-0157-sungif Mod, they say. 

• Divine LifeDivine Life Posts: 633REGISTERED Community Expert Lvl 1
    httpi1241photobucketcomalbumsgg506Aristotle_IICeteris_zpsf19fe346png